top of page

Military Discharge

honorable discharge image.jpg

There is no charge to record a Military DD214 and there is no charge to obtain a copy of a military discharge.

In accordance with the statute NC G.S. 47-133.2., the following parties are authorized to record or obtain copies of military discharges:

  1. The subject of the document or the subject’s widow or widower.

  2. Agents and representatives of the subject authorized in writing

    • By the subject or subject’s widow or widower in a notarized authorization,

    • By a court to represent subject, or

    • By the subject’s executor acting on behalf of a deceased subject.

  3. Authorized agents of the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, the Department of Defense, or a court official with an interest in assisting the subject or the deceased subject’s beneficiaries to obtain a benefit. 

  4. Agents or representatives of the North Carolina State Archives.


The above parties must provide government issued identification to request a copy of the military discharge.

bottom of page